Friday Black- Diverse Reads Annotation

Author: Nana Kwame Adjei-Brenyah

Title: Friday Black

Genre: Short Stories, Speculative Fiction

Publication Date: October 23, 2018

Number of Pages: 194

Geographical Setting: The stories take place in a variety of settings around America

Time Period: The time periods change. They are not often defined, but some feel very contemporary, and some are set in the future

Series: N/A

Plot Summary: The book contains 12 short stories that dip into genres like science fiction, dystopia, and horror and cover many different important topics like racism, the criminal justice system, consumerism, abortion, school shootings, and our relationship with violence. The title story, “Friday Black” follows a department store salesman the day after Thanksgiving in a satirical exaggeration of American consumerism in which shoppers become violent and animalistic in their desire for the newest products. The opening story, “The Finkelstein 5” follows a Black man, Emmanuel, who “dials up and down his blackness” in order to fit in with his surroundings. In reaction to a white man brutally killing five Black children, Emmanual turns his blackness up to a 10.

Subject Headings:
Short stories—fiction
Speculative fiction
Satire
African American fiction
Narrative criticism

Appeal:

Setting: Settings are not often explicitly defined in the various stories. Many stories take place in average, familiar settings like malls, hospitals, or homes, yet Adjei-Brenyah makes these settings feel unfamiliar with his at times shocking, satirical storylines.

Tone: Dark, witty, inventive, absurd, critical

Characterization: We meet many different characters in the stories, but a common theme is a male protagonist who is somewhat of an outsider and in a state of distress.

Pacing: Though it varies a bit between the stories, Friday Black is fairly fast-paced. The stories are pretty short which keeps things moving, and his shocking storylines will keep the reader guessing and very invested.

**Trigger Warning: violence, racism, abortion**

3 terms that best describe this book: Dark, Thought-Provoking, Witty

3 Relevant Non-Fiction Works and Authors

Deadly Injustice: Trayvon Martin, Race, and the Criminal Justice System by Devon Johnson

George Zimmerman is specifically referenced in Friday Black and the echoes of Trayvon Martin’s killing is felt in several stories. This book describes this case and the broader implications within American society.

Between the World and Me by Ta-Nehisi Coates

Both books examine Blackness in a supposedly post-racial society, Coates through memoir, essay, and letter written to his son.

24/7: Late Capitalism and the Ends of Sleep by Jonathan Crary

Like several of the stories in Friday Black, this work examines some of the ruinous effects ever-expanding capitalism is having on our society and on our bodies.

3 Relevant Fiction Works and Authors

Give My Love to the Savages by Chris Stuck

Both are short story collections reflecting on Blackness in American society, and both often have a satirical, absurd feel.

Heads of the Colored People by Nafissa Thompson-Spires

Both are darkly witty short story collections that push the boundaries and focus on the Black identity in America.

Temporary by Hilary Leichter

Both turn a satirical, comedic look at society, though Temporary focuses on modern capitalism.


Comments

  1. Liz,
    This book sounds really intriguing. I don't read many collections of short stories. Did you enjoy this? Would you recommend it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Kelsey, I am not typically a fan of short stories, but these just felt so inventive and poignant, I couldn't help but be sucked in by them! I originally read this collection in a literature class, and most of my other classmates did not enjoy the book as much as me, so I would definitely say they are for a specific reader who enjoys darker themes!

      Delete
    2. I don't read a lot of short stories either, but if you all are looking for a recommendation for a collection of short stories I recommend "Someone Who Will Love You in All Your Damaged Glory." I just read this and it is a whimsical collection of love stories written by one of the creators of Bojock Horseman.

      Delete
    3. I know some people who would love that, thanks for the rec!!

      Delete
  2. I'm a huge fan of short story collections, especially ones that venture off into a variety of genres and darker themes, so I'm so psyched you chose this book to annotate! I'd never heard of it before, so even before I was halfway through reading this post I was adding it to my wishlist on Libby. The related fiction recommendations were also new to me, so I'm eager to check those out, too.

    Also, as an aside, I'd debated doing an annotation for a short story earlier in this class but was a bit unsure of how I'd go about it so I ended up choosing a different book to cover. But your annotation feels just as effective to me as a non-short story annotation would have, so I'm glad to have seen your example!

    ReplyDelete
  3. After reading the comments on your post, I feel less alone in that I also do not read short story collections! I do see the appeal, however, as each story gives the author a chance to explore a certain theme or style for a brief period of time.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Haha it's really interesting to see how many of us are not fans of short stories! I feel like they're seen as very "literary," so I'm not the average reader has much exposure to them at all. Maybe something to keep in mind in advisory interviews!

    ReplyDelete
  5. When I was younger I wasn't a fan of short stories - but the older I get the more I like them! Great annotation and full points!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts