Reading Profile

Hi, I'm Elizabeth- book nerd and aspiring librarian. My favorite genres are fantasy, science fiction, historical fiction, and young adult. I think each of these genres allow for such rich imagination, world-building, and character development, which are so important to me. My least favorite genres are short stories and contemporary adult fiction (though there are exceptions). The former, because I never feel like I can connect with the characters enough in a such short time, and the latter, because often they just feel too depressing, and that's not why I read.

In the last year or two I've been doing a lot of driving and have had limited time for reading, so I've gotten really into audiobooks. This year I read 48 books, and here are my top 5!

                Project Hail Mary by Andy Weir

                The Devil in the White City by Erik Larson

                The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society by Mary Ann Shaffer and Annie Barrows

                We Are Not Free by Traci Chee

                The Color of Compromise by Jemar Tisby

Historically, I've been very stuck in the genres I listed at the top-- fantasy, science fiction, historical fiction, and young adult-- but this year, I did a little better at branching out (note two non-fiction books on my top 5 list!). I guess you could say another big motivation for my reading is to learn something, whether that be explicitly through non-fiction, by immersing myself in a historical setting, or getting to experience the journey of characters that are different from me.

I'm very excited to get into this class and read a little more broadly and learn better skills to discuss books and make recommendations!

Comments

  1. Hi Elizabeth! I am adding "We Are Not Free" to my list of books to read. I have heard it is good. It is so easy to get stuck in genres that we are most comfortable with- sort of like foods and people too in a weird way. However, I am glad that you are branching out! I also plan on branching out and reading something totally different beyond my usual reads. It is important as librarians to branch out and have perspective, so that's a great step forward!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Elizabeth! I read The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society in the last few years and loved it too, even though I felt like they butchered the movie :( I can be kind of snotty about reading outside my genres (such as into romance, it can be so cheesy!) but I think it's time for a change of attitude!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Elizabeth! I relate to not enjoying contemporary adult fiction as well. For me, I often find YA fiction to be more engaging, fun, and less triggering. In fact, when adult patrons ask me for fun reads, I always introduce them to the YA section, and they are always thankful for the recommendation.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm so happy you've started branching outside your favorite genres. That's often how I find some of my favorite reads! Great profile!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts