Kirkus-Style Review

Legends & Lattes- Travis Baldree

Battle-weary orc, Viv, retires from bloodshed and starts a new life running a coffee shop in this breath-of-fresh-air, queer, comfort fantasy novel.

With one last mission and a possibly magic artifact in her pocket, Viv cashes out and leaves her previous life as a mercenary behind. She has one thing in mind: a wonderous gnomish creation called coffee. After tasting it once on a mission to Azimuth, Viv has not been able to forget it; "it was like drinking the feeling of being peaceful. Being peaceful in your mind. Well, not if you have too much, then it's something else." Viv sets up shop in Thune, a city of people who have never heard of coffee, and faces all the problems of any small business owner. Baldree creates several distinct and compelling characters whom Viv befriends in Thune as her business begins to grow, leaning into the beloved “found family” trope. There’s Calamity, “Cal,” a gruff hob who woodworks for Viv and becomes a begrudging friend; Tandri, the guarded but entrepreneurial succubus who brings life to all Viv’s ideas; Thimble, the softspoken ratkin who is nothing short of a baker extraordinaire; Pendry, the hesitant bard who entertains Viv’s guests; and Amity, the dire-cat and occasional shop guard. Legends & Lattes embodies coziness as Viv and her friends come up with new pastries and drinks to add to their menu. Baldree's intricate description of Thimble's pastries will make the reader salivate and fall more in love with this little world. Yet all is not well. Old and new threats alike begin to come out of the woodwork, and Viv must decide if she has really laid down her sword for good. 

For fans of cozy books and lovers of fantasy looking for a change of pace, Legends & Lattes offers an endearing cast of characters and a well-developed world to get lost in for at least a little while. 


Pub Date: February 22, 2022
ISBN: 9781250886088
Page Count: 304
Publisher: Tor

Categories: Fantasy, Romance, LGBTQ, Mystery, Fiction, Adult, Cozy


Comments

  1. I just have to say I absolutely adored this book. I'm not always too into "slice-of-life" stories but something about Legends and Lattes was just perfect. You've done a great job capturing the essence of the book in your review!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Liz,
    Nice review. That sounds like a fun book. I don't read a lot of fantasy, but I might have to add this one to my TBR list.
    Tasha

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Liz, I have seen this book on Goodreads a few times, but immediately skipped over it beca I don’t really consider fantasy my genre of choice. I do, however, like cozy mysteries when I am in the mood for a calm, easy read. This seems like it has some of the same elements, and I will definitely be taking another look at it. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just learned about cozy mysteries when we started this class, and now you're telling me there's cozy fantasy?! Excited to add this one to my to-read shelf. See, this is why book reviews are important. I'm a bit of a based-on-the-cover reader, I'll admit, and probably would have overlooked this one if I'd ever seen it - which seems unlikely in the first place - but based on this review I actually think I'd love this book.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Liz,
    I've seen this book everywhere and been on the fence about it. I just haven't been all that sure that it would be something that I would like, but after this it is definitely getting added to my want to read list!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You're review is so well written! I love it and you've perfectly portrayed it's cozy aspects and how well it still fits in a unique fantasy world. The book has been seen everywhere lately, but I really appreciate your review and think I might give it a read sometime.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Fantastic Kirkus style review! It sounds professional and polished and your conclusion is great!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts